I love the name of our business - it's simple and direct, just like we strive to be as a company. But, if there's one thing I don't like about it, it's giving out my e-mail over the phone. The long domain name is just a drag. The fix I decided to implement was to buy some shorter domain names, specifically ones I thought I could give out over the phone a bit easier.
I ended up going with:
To make these domains actually useful, I wanted to setup both e-mail and web redirects.
Forwarding the Web
There are a handful of ways to forward a web domain name. Heck, GoDaddy allows you to do this right from the domain manager they provide. I couldn't resist using a RewriteRule hack I've fallen back on many times. I through the following in my webserver's httpd.conf:
<VirtualHost *:80> ServerName ideas2executables.com ServerAlias www.i-2-x.com i-2-x.com www.ideas2exe.com ideas2exe.com DocumentRoot /var/www/vhosts/www.ideas2executables.com RewriteEngine on RewriteRule /(.*) http://www.ideas2executables.com/$1 [R=301] </VirtualHost>
This configuration sets up a dummy virtual host which responds to a whole slew of domain names that I want redirected, and then issues a basic RewriteRule command to send everything to my real domain: ideas2executables.com.
Setting up e-mail is in my eyes always more daunting. I take one look at the docs for postfix and my eyes glaze over. Luckily, exactly what I wanted to do was outlined here. The first step was to point the MX record in GoDaddy's DNS to my Linux box. With that out of the way, I added the following to my /etc/postfix/main.cf:
virtual_alias_domains = ideas2exe.com, i-2-x.com virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
Inside of /etc/postfix/virtual I added lines like:
email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
I then ran sudo postmap /etc/postfix/virtual, restarted postfix, and to my amazement, mail was properly forwarded.
A GoDaddy Surpise
When setting the above up, I ran into a strange problem: the domain i-2-x.com wasn't being found by dig. Surely GoDaddy must have an obscure provisioning problem, I thought. So, I got GoDaddy on the line and explained to them the situation. After some back and forth I realized it was me, not GoDaddy who had the fault. I had purchased i-to-x.com instead of i-2-x.com. D'oh! To my amazement, Shawn, the tech on the other end of the phone, gladly offered to refund the domain I purchased and get me the one I intended. Withing a few minutes, he had switched everything around for me.
I never really thought about what the return policy on something like this would be - but I was delighted that GoDaddy could just undo the oops that I created.
So now I've got my new domains - I'm almost looking forward to giving it out over the phone to see how it works.