Whoa, it's July! Now that we're really getting into summer, it's almost time for our nieces, nephew and family friends to visit. This means I'm on the lookout for easy, fun and practical kid activity ideas. Makes and Takes definitely gave me some fresh ideas with their recent post: 10 Awesomely Fun Sidewalk Chalk Activities.
I can totally relate to the author's opening comment: I've handed kids sidewalk chalk, watched them doodle, and then wondered, now what?. Well now I've got that answer.
Here's a quick summary of the suggestions. See the post for a complete description.
- Self portraits: lie down; trace the individual; fill in the portrait
- Checkers: draw a checker board; play checkers. Bonus points for coming up with improvised pieces.
- Wet Sidewalk Chalk: wet the concrete; then draw
- Tic Tac Toe Toss: draw tic tac toe board; play the game by tossing a rock/beanbag into the spot you want to mark
- Long Jump: measure out a scale of markings; jump!
- Dots and Lines: draw a grid of dots; take turns drawing a single line between the dots; the person who completes a square gets a point
- Fun Messages: draw fun messages in unexpected places
- Target Practice: draw target; toss rock/beanbag; win.
- Shuffleboard: draw to goals; take turns getting as close to the goal as possible
- Twister: draw a twister board; play!
Have any goto summer kids activities you'd like to share? I'd love to hear 'em!