I celebrated the fact that emacs runs on my Android phone, yet lamented that dired, a key feature wasn't working. One quick Google search and I found a discussion outlining this issue. And best of all, a fix was provided. I went ahead and added the following into my .emacs and I was good to go:
;; emacs settings to make stuff work on my Galaxy S3 ;; Fix dired on Android (require 'ls-lisp) (setq ls-lisp-use-insert-directory-program nil) ;; Relax tab completion a bit we're on a tiny keybaord. (setq read-file-name-completion-ignore-case t) (setq read-buffer-completion-ignore-case t) ;; Where to start up (cd "/mnt/sdcard")
(Note: only the highlighted lines are required. The other lines are just configuration options to make life on the tiny screen easier)
Look at all those pretty dired buffers!
One potential gotcha is that Control-Space doesn't set the mark on my little keyboard. After poking around, I accidentally learned that hitting the search button (the key with a magnifying glass in the row of media buttons) does set the mark. That will take some practice, but functionality wise, it's good enough.
Next step: disable touchwiz and have emacs be the only app that starts when I power on my phone!